Thursday, December 10, 2009

Top Chef

Ginger Bear didn't win Top Chef honors lastnight, but it doesn't really matter. The masses will be filling up his restaurant to taste Kevin Gillespie's spin on Southern comfort food, while others may need a food dictionary and a second mortgage to try Top Chef winner Michael Voltaggio's wildly imaginative dishes.

I prefer Kevin's approach to cooking, one I hope to acquire over the years - If you take the time to learn all you can about what's locally available and use those ingredients to create food from your heart, you'll win everytime.

Mike's food, on the other hand, felt like an extension of his insane drive to be the best rather than cooking for the love of cooking. And it showed in his joking but serious answer to the question, "Why should you be crowned Top Chef?"

"Because I don't want my brother to win."

:~~:

Lastnight I made a casserole that reeks of a 1980's working single mom cleaning out the fridge. Although it doesn't come close to the goals I hope to achieve, something about it was both comforting and satisfying. Added bonus, I didn't leave the kitchen a wreck for Kevin to clean up after.

Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole
3-4 chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 stalks celery, chopped - I'm only guessing it was 4 stocks. I was down to the heart of the celery and used it all up.
1 onion, chopped
2 t coriander or cumin
1 T chili powder
1 t salt
1 T lime juice
1 16 oz can whole tomatoes w/ juice
1 1/2 c rice
1 c shredded cheddar

If you have a jar of salsa, put it in a large bowl and skip to step 2.

1. In a large bowl combine tomatoes (cut up the tomatoes), lime juice, salt, chili powder, coriander and onion so that it resembles a salsa.

2. Add the cans of soup and chopped celery. Mix well.

3. In a 9"x13" pan, add chicken, top with salsa mixture and finish it with a layer of cheese. Cover with foil paper. Bake in a 425 oven for an hour.

Eat that, Voltaggio!

1 comment:

  1. Even though I fully expected Kevin to lose and Michael to win, I was kind of bent when the final decision came around. That guy is such a douche.

    ReplyDelete